It gives me great pleasure to welcome you all, to the University of Mauritius Alumni Association (UoMAA).
The University of Mauritius reckons over 50 years of existence and has produced more than 50,000 graduates. We are an alumni association that is 50,000 stronger.
The University of Mauritius is the premiere university in Mauritius. It has, for a very long time, been the only university on the island. Today, the tertiary academic landscape has changed drastically. Nonetheless, it is the only university in Mauritius that enrolls and graduates the highest number of students.
We, the graduates of the University of Mauritius, are present in each and every sector. We have and are building Mauritius into a first world country. Without the University of Mauritius and its ALMA MATERs, there would not have been the “MAURITIUS MIRACLE.”
The alumni association can give a helping hand in creating the Mauritius we want for future generations.
The objectives of the UoM Alumni Association are to:
• encourage members of the Association to take an active interest in the life of the University;
• facilitate and support meetings between the Association's members;
• organize activities and exchanges with other associations at national and international levels with a view to promote the interest of its members.
UoMAA registered with the Registrar of Association in August 2016 and has since then embarked on several small projects. In December 2016, non-perishable foodstuffs were collected on campus distributed to some 22 families in Mauritius through the Mauritius Tamil League in Réduit. In October 2017, the UoM Alumni Association organized a diabetes screening session for UoM staff, students, all alumni and people residing in Réduit in collaboration with Lions Club Flacq.
A book donation campaign was also launched whereby alumni were requested to donate at least one book to the UoM library. This initiative is ongoing and can be done on the website of the alumni association.
Friends, you will agree with me when I say that: SOMEWHERE SOMEHOW the UoM has contributed towards making you whatever you are today. Well, we are asking you to give something back to your institution.
Following the AGM and a special meeting held on Monday 16 April 2018, the following members were elected to serve on the Executive Committee of the Associations for 2018/19:
- Mrs Sabrina Ramsamy-Iranah, Academic Staff, UoM - President
- Mr Roshan Ramoly, Director Linear Arc Solutions - Vice-President
- Mr Janesh Roy Dookan, Board of Investment - Secretary
- Mrs Trishilla Benydin-Koolwant, Economic Development Board - Assistant Secretary
- Mr Goonesh Kumar Bahadur, Academic Staff, UoM - Treasurer
- Mr Narainduth Bundhun, IT Officer, FDI - Assistant Treasurer
- Mr Randhir Guirdharry, Economic Development Board - Member
- Mr Bernard Thomas, Motag Limited - Member
- Mrs Brinda Chiniah, Nestlé Equatorial African Region - Member
We look forward to your support as an alumnus to further develop the University of Mauritius.
Sabrina Ramsamy-Iranah President