IT applications in Public Debt Management
The various activities relating to PDM need to be supported by an effective management information system. No single application can satisfy the requirements of a DMO. A number of systems therefore need to be deployed and integrated including:
- An Auctioning System for the issuance of government securities
- A Debt Recording System for loan administration and production of debt data statistics
- Analytical tools for debt analysis and policy formulation
- A Central Depository System, which provides an electronic record of the ownership of listed securities
- Link to Treasury Systems
- Link to Payment Systems (e.g. Swift)
- Link to Accounting systems, IFMIS and Public Financial Management systems
- Data feeds (Bloomberg; Reuters)
- Web site
This course will explore the functions performed by the various IT systems used in PDM and discuss such issues as: off the shelf versus tailor made applications; systems integration; maintenance implications; contingency planning; better practices in IT systems implementation and administration; new developments (e.g. cloud technology) and their current and future impact.
Visits to or presentations by some of the main IT systems providers will be organised.